How to Get a Private Pesticide Application Permit –

By Jeff Burbink
Extension Educator, Purdue Extension Elkhart County

Jeff Burbrink
Extension Educator, Purdue University Elkhart County

ELKHART COUNTY – As the next generation begins to assume responsibilities on the farm, one of the responsibilities is for the younger mate to obtain their private pesticide application permit. Any person wishing to purchase restricted-use pesticides and apply them on property they own or rent is required by law to have a private pesticide application permit. A private applicator must pass the pesticide core exam given by the Indiana State Chemist’s office. In today’s article, I will go through the process of obtaining a permit.

By far the most popular way to take the core exam was to get the core exam training manual, study at home, and then take the exam at the local Ivy Tech. The manual can be purchased for $40 plus shipping from or by calling (765) 494-6794. Manuals are available in English and Spanish.

Once you have received your manual and are ready to take the core exam, go to online or call (877) 533-2900 to schedule an exam. The test pages change from time to time. Currently, Ivy Tech locations are listed in Elkhart, South Bend and Fort Wayne. Anyone taking the exam anywhere is required to provide government-issued photo identification. Contact the Indiana State Chemist for alternative identification. Within 12 months, a person has three attempts to take the exam. This exam is chargeable.

Once you have a private applicator license, you can keep it current by attending private applicator recertification training, also known as PARP courses. Home users who take three PARP courses in five years can automatically renew their license without having to retake the core exam.

I’m hosting a PARP practice session at the Ag Hall at the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds on Monday, December 5th from 7-9pm. The subject will control weeds at the edges of your field. We see many problems in areas where kickback herbicides are used. There are no costs for the training. The Indiana Corn Marketing Council and the Indiana Soybean Alliance collect the $10 PARP fee. Anyone interested can participate. Just call (574) 533-0554 to reserve a seat.

There are many other pesticide registration options for commercial users, including turf applications, crops, trees and shrubs, termite control, aquatic weeds, aerial applications, and wood-destroying insects such as termites. For more information about these categories, see

Print friendly, PDF & email