CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — You won’t get deja vu, but Indiana women’s basketball meets the No. 21 Fighting Illini for the second time this season, except this time Illinois is 21st.
In the last meeting at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, the Hoosiers defeated Illinois 65-61, led by senior forward Mackenzie Holmes, by 23 points. Eight games later, the Gorham, Maine native still leads the team with a 21.2 point average and a team-high 8.1 rebounds.
Though the Fighting Illini have since climbed the Associated Press poll and won eight of their last 10 matchups, they haven’t been able to face the steady ball control of Hoosier point guard Grace Berger, who was out with a right knee injury last time out Out.
Berger has played in three games since then and is the team’s fourth-best scorer with 11.1 points per contest. Overall, the Hoosiers shoot 50 percent from the field and allow the opponent just 57.8 points per game.
The Fighting Illini aren’t too far behind at 47.1 percent from the field, keeping their opponents at 62.1 points per fight. Leading them is junior guard Makira Cook, who is one of three players in double digits with 18.3 points.
Scroll to Next
Meanwhile, 6ft 2in junior forward Kendall Bostic dominates the boards averaging 10.2 rebounds per game, leading the Big Ten.
It’s worth noting that on Jan. 8, the Fighting Illini lost only to state No. 2 Ohio State by six points on the road. Illinois then took to the streets a week later to beat the Golden Gophers 70-57 and can now sit at the State Farm Center and wait for the Hoosiers.
Indiana has won the last 14 matchups in Illinois and leads the all-time series 47-29. Since it’s a new year and a new team, history doesn’t matter that much, especially when the Hoosiers are challenged with an away game. They are yet to lose indoors but failed on the road in their only loss to Michigan State this season.
If Indiana can eclipse the Fighting Illini, Hoosiers head coach Teri Moren will become the all-time all-time coach in program history in just nine seasons.
How to watch Indiana vs. Illinois
- Who: No. 6 Indiana Hoosiers (16-1)(6-1) vs. No. 21 Illinois Fighting Illini (15-3)(5-2)
- When: Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET
- Where from: State Farm Center—Champaign, Illinois.
- Transmission: B1G+
- Radio: WHCC 105.1
Related stories about Indiana women’s basketball
- YARDEN GARZON IS THE BIG TEN FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK Indiana Women’s Basketball Freshman Guard Yarden Garzon was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the second time this season, plus the USWBA Tamika Catchings National Freshman of the Week as the first Hoosier to receive the honor. CLICK HERE
- HOOSIERS STAY AT NO. 6 For the third straight week, Indiana women’s basketball will remain in the Associated Press’s top 25 poll. The full poll plus season records are included in the story. CLICK HERE
- INDIANA beats Wisconsin by a record crowd With a crowd of more than 10,400, a regular season record, the Indiana Wisconsin women’s basketball team went 93-56, led by the hot hands of Mackenzie Holmes and Yarden Garzon. CLICK HERE