According to a report by Jake Fischer of Yahoo SportsThere is a sentiment in the NBA that the Indiana Pacers will be “looking for upgrades” ahead of the February 9th NBA trade deadline.
Fischer reports that the Pacers are looking for parts that can be part of the team’s long-term plans. He adds that the franchise is looking for a power forward and that young guard Tyrese Haliburton’s injury status could change their plans.
Indiana got off to a surprise start at 23-19 and that could change their approach to trading this season. The dominant thought during the offseason and entering this season was that the Pacers would think about future seasons more than the present when making deals. But their position in the standings — currently sixth in the Eastern Conference — has reportedly caused the Indiana front office to change stance.
The Pacers have several young players and draft picks in their arsenal if they decide to upgrade, and there are many directions they could go. Fischer reported that Atlanta’s John Collins is a player, and a power forward at that, that the Pacers “have been discussing internally about the prospect of a signing.” Allpacer covered that idea here.
Because the Pacers have such a young core and are still winning games, they have a tricky trade deadline to deal with. Is it worth it for blue and gold to try to win more games this season if that limits their cap in future campaigns? On the other hand, will the team ever be as flexible and resourceful as it is now? These are the questions the Indiana front office needs to answer as it approaches February 9th.
The Pacers have won seven of their last 10 games and are currently rolling. Their biggest team building question concerns center Myles Turner’s future, but beyond that the team will look to find the right path forward for a young team that is winning games faster than expected.
- Tyrese Haliburton is suffering from a bruised left knee and a sprained left elbow and will be out for the Indiana Pacers for at least two weeks. CLICK HERE.
- The Indiana Pacers are reaching the halfway point of their season well above expectations. CLICK HERE.
- Oshae Brissett’s contract was fully guaranteed and was not canceled by the Indiana Pacers before the guarantee period expired. CLICK HERE.
- The Indiana Pacers have developed into one of the best clutch teams in the NBA. CLICK HERE.
- Follow Allpacers on Facebook: All pacemakers SI
- Follow AllPacers on Twitter: @ SIPacer