A $3.5 million grant from Lilly Endowment Inc. will enable the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology’s free AskRose Homework Help program to help more middle and high school students in Indiana, including historically underserved students help them beat their math and science homework.
Rose Hulman Tutors are available for free tutoring sessions via video, phone call, email or chat from early August to mid-May of each school year, Sunday through Thursday, 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Tutors can be reached through the AskRose website, AskRose.org, or by calling 877-ASK-ROSE (877-275-7673).
“For more than 30 years, our AskRose program has successfully helped Indiana students learn math and science successfully, and we are very grateful for Lilly Endowment’s continued support of this mission,” said Rose-Hulman President Robert A. Coons. “The services of our homework assistance program are needed more than ever as the math and science education gaps in grades 6 through 12 have widened since the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Coons added, “AskRose also helps instill in Indiana students an aptitude and interest in math and science, and promotes valuable tools in Science, Engineering, Engineering, and Mathematical Education (STEM) necessary for the development of the… required highly qualified technical workforce for Indiana’s economic future.”
Data from the Indiana Department of Education suggests that English as a second language (ESL) students are another hard-hit group of students. Based on this information, AskRose will hire bilingual students to create dedicated Spanish language tutoring and test this concept with two schools.
This grant will also support a new outreach program that will provide historically underserved students with additional resources to pursue STEM subjects. The RoseSTEM college prep program is designed to build a pipeline of high quality college students through partnerships with high schools and community-based organizations (CBO). Featured high schools and CBOs include:
- Indianapolis – Center for Leadership Development, Minority Engineering Program, GEO Academies of Indianapolis and Starfish Initiative
- Chicago – Noble Charter Schools, Walter Payton Prep and Marian Catholic High School
- Northwest Indiana – 21st Century Charter School of Gary
- Terre Haute – High School South Vigo
Students who attend the nation’s premier engineering college are proficient in math and science. That’s why AskRose has become a perfect way for Rose Hulman students to help children learn and succeed, give back to schools across Indiana, and improve teachers’ communication and leadership skills, while enhancing their knowledge of fundamental math and to strengthen scientific concepts.
Approximately 100 Rose Hulman students serve as tutors during each school year, having been highly recommended by the faculty for their technical knowledge and ability to communicate with students of all skill levels and understandings. Approximately 20 tutors are available each night and have access to textbooks and many other resources to provide valuable help. The AskRose Homework Help program is certified by the National Tutoring Association.
AskRose officials report younger schoolchildren are more affected by the learning loss of the COVID-19 pandemic than older students. As a result, the program has recently expanded its service hours, beginning at 5:00 p.m. five times a week to better reach younger students.
An important part of the AskRose program is that tutors do not give students the answers but guide them through homework to help them better understand math and science concepts. This is how it is taught to students in schools today.
Student privacy is always protected and students are never asked for their last name or phone number. Also, all AskRose Homework Help services are available at no cost to students and parents through the support and financial support of Lilly Endowment Inc. and Rose-Hulman.
AskRose Homework Help has delivered more than 750,000 tutoring sessions since starting in 1991. The AskRose.org website also offers more than 500 resources available in the form of videos and downloadable reference materials.
• The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology offers free tutoring in math and science for students in grades 6-12. Students can call 877-ASK-ROSE (877-275-7673) to speak with a tutor or go to the AskRose website, AskRose.org, to video, online, or email with a tutor to interact. Questions submitted via email and other means will be answered during AskRose business hours.
• Hours of Operation: 5:00pm-10:00pm (EDT), Sunday through Thursday, through May. Additional afternoon lessons may be available, subject to tutor availability. (The service is closed during the Rose-Hulman vacation.)
• Online Resources: Students and educators can access resources and teaching materials at AskRose.org.
• Sponsors: The service is supported by Lilly Endowment Inc. and Rose-Hulman.