NM State (0-0) on #19 Arizona State (2-0)
Thursday, January 19 | 10 am | Tempe, Ariz. | Whiteman Tennis Center
NM State (0-0) vs. Western New Mexico (0-0)
Friday January 20 | 2 p.m. | Las Cruces, NM | NM State Tennis Center
THE FIRST SERVE
• After more than 10 weeks of honing their skills against each other, the NM State women’s tennis team shares court with an opponent Thursday as they visit Grand Canyon State to open their spring season against Arizona State No. 19.
• The Aggies were originally scheduled to start their season against the Sun Devils on Monday 16 December but had to postpone the start of the season due to bad weather.
• Thursday’s game will be the Aggies’ lone away game for the first month and a half of play as NM State won’t be playing in unknown places again until March 3 when they visit UNLV. Until then, the Aggies will host seven games, with a game against New Mexico on Feb. 25 completing the extended homestand.
• NM State last played at the UTEP Invitational in El Paso, Texas, Nov. 4-6. There, the Aggies were able to win 22 games in singles and doubles during the three-day event.
• After the game against the Sun Devils, NM State will take on Western New Mexico in its first home game of the season on Interstate 10 on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. Head coached after just four games last spring Emil Wang and her roster will compete 13 times this season at NM State Tennis Center.
• Lisa Zhu hopes to lead the Aggies this season after posting NM State’s best win ratio in the spring 2021-22 season — and finishing with a 14-7 overall record, including a 12-5 at No. 2.
• Senior Bella Nguyen will be looking to build a strong finish to her spring season last year when she won her last four games to lead the Aggies to a WAC tournament title and an NCAA tournament appearance.
• Nguyen’s contribution will carry over to doubles, where she and her senior team-mate play Miranda Bishard ended with an 11-8 record when they played together a season ago.
• Next on the schedule for NM State is Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, which will make its way to Las Cruces on Tuesday, January 24, with games scheduled to start at 11:00 am