WASHINGTON – Today, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the appointment of 15 new and 7 returning members to the Local Government Advisory Committee (LGAC). The announcement came at a public meeting of the committee, where members presented recommendations on how to implement the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA).
“Our partnerships with local governments are critical to EPA’s efforts to address the climate crisis and ensure investments from President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act reach the communities that need them most,” he said EPO Administrator Michael Regan. “The recommendations made by LGAC today demonstrate our pride in prioritizing local voices and I look forward to working with the new membership in the coming year.”
The 34-member LGAC will have an even split of male and female members, including 14 people of color, and representatives from 29 different states and US territories. The Administrator also appointed 13 new and 5 returning members to the LGAC’s Small Communities Advisory Subcommittee.
Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird of Lincoln, Nebraska will continue to serve as LGAC Chair, and Mayor Lucy Vinis of Eugene, Oregon will serve as LGAC Vice Chair. Administrator Regan also appointed Albemarle County, Virginia Supervisor Ann Mallek as Co-Chair of SCAS. Mallek will join Commissioner Christine Lowery of Cibola County, New Mexico, who held the position for the past year.
“I look forward to continuing to serve on EPA’s Local Government Advisory Committee and remain committed to the important work to advance climate security, infrastructure development, economic opportunity, environmental justice and the quality of life for people here in Lincoln and across our country. ” said Mayor Gaylor Baird of Lincoln, Nebraska.
The recommendations focused on grants to reduce climate pollution and included providing direct funding to local and tribal governments, prioritizing building decarbonization, supporting meaningful engagement with disadvantaged communities in climate planning, and coordinating IRA implementation in the entire federal family. Regarding the heavy-duty vehicle IRA program, the LGAC recommended that the EPA support the decarbonization of government fleets and streamline applications. The recommendations will be finalized later this month and sent to Administrator Regan.
The members were selected from a pool of more than 80 highly qualified candidates. The selection for the one- and two-year terms was made in accordance with the LGAC charter Achieve balance and diversity in terms of geography, gender, ethnicity and stakeholder perspective.
The new and returning (marked with *) LGAC members and their affiliations are:
- The Honorable Ras Baraka, Mayor, Newark, NJ*
- The Honorable Luke Bronin, Mayor, Hartford, CT
- The Honorable Sharon Broome, Mayor, Baton Rouge, LA
- Mr. Gary Brown, Director, Department of Water and Sanitation, Detroit, MI*
- The Honorable Kimberly duBuclet, District Commissioner for Water Reclamation, Cook County, IL
- Ms. Miki Esposito, Assistant Director of Public Works, Los Angeles County
- The Honorable Sarah Fox, Councilor, Vancouver, WA
- The Honorable Jacob Frey, Mayor, Minneapolis, MN
- The Honorable Jonathan Grieder, Councilor, City of Waterloo, IA
- The Honorable Brenda Howerton, County Commissioner, Durham County, NC
- The Honorable Deana Holiday Ingraham, Mayor, East Point, GA*
- The Honorable Heather Kimball, Councilor, Hawaii County
- The Honorable Ann Mallek, Superintendent, Albemarle County, VA
- The Honorable Rachel May, State Senator, Syracuse, NY*
- The Honorable Christian Menefee, District Attorney, Harris County, TX
- The Honorable Douglas Nicholls, Mayor, Yuma, AZ*
- The Honorable Ron Nirenberg, Mayor, San Antonio, TX*
- The Honorable David Painter, County Commissioner, Clermont County, OH
- The Honorable Mary Lou Pauly, Mayor, Issaquah, WA
- Mr. Whitford Remer, Sustainability and Resilience Officer, Tampa, FL
- The Honorable Satya Rhodes-Conway, Mayor, Madison, WI*
The new and returning (marked with *) SCAS members and their affiliations are:
- The Honorable Vincent DeSantis, Mayor, Gloversville, NY *
- Mr. Kevin Dumas, City Manager, Mansfield, MA
- Mr. Dave Glatt, Director, Environmental Quality, ND*
- The Honorable Jonathan Godes, Mayor, Glenwood Springs, CO
- The Honorable Daniel Guzman, Tribal Council, Oneida Nation, WI*
- The Honorable Velma Jenkins, Mayor, Shuqualak, MS
- Ms. Meleesa Johnson, Director, Solid Waste Division, Wausau, WI
- Ms. Denis Koch, Assistant Director of Public Works and Engineering, Juneau, AK
- The Honorable Rey Leon, Mayor, Huron, CA
- The Honorable Ann Mallek, Commissioner, Albemarle County, VA*
- Mr. Tyler Palmer, Assistant City Superintendent, Moscow, ID
- The Honorable James Perkins, Mayor, Selma, AL
- The Honorable Hattie Portis-Jones, Mayor Pro Tem, Fairburn, GA*
- The Honorable Greg Puckett, County Commissioner, Mercer County, VA
- The Honorable Kimberly Rich, Councilman and Mayor Pro Tem, Willow Springs, MO
- Mr. Kevin Shropshire, Department Manager, Rockledge, FL
- The Honorable Sophie Swope, City Council Member, Bethel, AK
- Mrs. Michele Zolezi, City Vice President, Manchester Township, NJ
Chartered under the Federal Advisory Committee Act in 1993, the Local Government Advisory Committee provides the EPA Administrator with independent policy advice on a variety of issues affecting local government. The Small Community Advisory Subcommittee was established by the EPA in 1996 to advise the administrator on environmental issues affecting residents of small communities.
For more information on the LGAC, see https://www.epa.gov/ocir/local-government-advisory-committee-lgac.
For more information on the SCAS, see: https://www.epa.gov/ocir/small-community-advisory-subcommittee-scas.