UNM students comment on campus murder

ALBUQUERQUE, NM (KRQE) – A student died and a New Mexico State University (NMSU) basketball player was hospitalized in a shooting on the campus of the University of New Mexico (UNM). Police are now looking for two other people they believe may be involved.

According to police, the deadly shooting happened on Girard Blvd. near Coronado Hall on the UNM campus.

“I was sleeping and I woke up and I heard knocking and I’m looking out the window. Disaster,” said Kyle, a UNM student who lives near where the shooting took place.

UNM said there was an altercation between four people, including a 19-year-old UNM student and a 21-year-old NMSU basketball player, around 3 a.m. Saturday. The altercation resulted in gunfire.

The police said the 19-year-old was pronounced dead on the spot. The NMSU basketball player was also shot. He was taken to the hospital with injuries.

“Hearing gunshots is nothing to be surprised about,” said Lee, another UNM student.

“It’s commonplace around here,” Kyle added.

KRQE’s sister station in El Paso, KTSM, has confirmed with sources at NMSU that the basketball player is Mike Peake, a junior at NMSU. Some UNM students told KRQE on Saturday they felt left in the dark by UNM by providing very little information.

“You pretty much didn’t tell us anything. We got an email and a text message. It is,” said Crow, a UNM student.

UNM President Garnett S. Stokes released a statement Saturday, saying, “The entire Lobo community is shocked by this incident and we mourn the death of one of our students and the injuries sustained to another individual. She also addressed criticism of campus communication, noting that the delayed communication created fear and concern. She said she wished they could have been more transparent throughout the day. The statement said there would be counseling services for students.

UNM said the NMSU basketball player is in stable condition; The 19-year-old has not yet been identified by police.

The Chancellor of NMSU released a statement about the shooting.

To our NMSU students, their parents, our staff, our Aggie alumni, and our fans:
I’m sure many of you have heard about the devastating events that took place in Albuquerque this weekend prior to our basketball game against the University of New Mexico. There are some details that we know, but unfortunately there is some important information that we still don’t know. I think it’s important that nobody jumps to judgment until all the facts are available.
We know that one of our student athletes is now in the hospital after an altercation on the UNM campus. We also know that another person lost their life after this altercation. Every untimely death is a tragedy, but it’s especially heartbreaking when it involves students and happens on a college campus. I spoke to UNM President Garnett Stokes and sent him my condolences and those of our entire NMSU fellowship.
Both universities agreed to postpone the basketball game and our team returned home yesterday. Some of our track and field staff stayed behind in Albuquerque to be with our student athlete. NMSU personnel liaised with investigators and cooperated with law enforcement throughout.
The further circumstances of this incident are still under investigation. As a result, we can’t say much more at this point. I am confident that all relevant details will come out in time. This information will then help inform our next steps as a university.
I realize that this situation may concern some of our students and staff. We encourage anyone who needs additional support, including counseling services, to contact the Aggie Health and Wellness Center at 575-646-6428.

Chancellor Dan E. Arvizu

Police are still searching for two people who fled east from the scene wearing black clothing. Crime Stoppers are offering a reward of up to $2,500 for anonymous tips helping the investigation.

Police said the NMSU bus carrying students for the canceled game was stopped on I-25 near the Fort Craig rest area as part of the ongoing investigation. The bus has since been released. The police are still investigating the incident.